what is "the art of atlas?"

 

             Salutations and welcome to my new blog! This will be my new place to host all my think pieces, written works, and more. I was previously using Substack for similar purposes, but found the lack of site customization boring and the overall format unnecessary. I still want to spiff up this site as it is, but it will do for the time being. 

why “the art of atlas?”

            While being moderately self-explanatory, I chose “The Art of Atlas” to represent my work because it effectively describes what you will find (art), who it was made by (Atlas), and the subject matter (of Atlas). My pieces are all inspired by my experiences, interests, joys, and thoughts. Being multidisciplinary in nature with mostly visual and written work, I felt this was as specific as I was willing to go, and it gets the job done. It also conveniently matches some of my other social media handles which follow the same “the ___ of atlas” format, which I just think is cute. 

my works.

            Having taken to visual art over ten years ago, I have drawn on mediums from lined notebook paper all the way to an iPad I bought for the sole purpose of creating art. I have used animals and nature as my subjects since the beginning—especially when it comes to pets. All life is important, but I especially find that many times the animals we take into our care are done so without proper research or appreciation. I believe we have normalized pet care as something that is less important than what it is—providing care for something that cannot do so itself, nor communicate plainly in words when it needs, wants, or doesn’t want something. I find capturing the beauty and love for these animals in my work is a gorgeous reminder of this as well as a lovely way to appreciate your pets. 

            In addition to inside, I also use my work to appreciate the life just outside of our homes. Native plants and wildlife equally deserve our respect and appreciation and can teach us so many things about peace, purpose, and slowness.

            My written work tends to focus on using nature as a way to write ideas that are more difficult to express in words otherwise. I am often told my work has a unique quality to “describe the indescribable” in this way. Many of my poems begin from being outside and drawing connections from things I see to things I feel and think. 

            I do not have any fiction posted anywhere, but I do have a history of writing novel-length stories. I am hoping to begin exploring this again with some short stories in the future, when the ideas and details can properly draw together in my brain.

what to expect.

            I hope in the future to have a few formats of content I post here. My thoughts (put together in think pieces like this one), poems, and short stories. I may find other things I wish to post along the way, but for now this is what I plan on hosting here. I gladly invite future discussion, analysis of my work, etc. and I hope to see you then. :)

Comments

Popular Posts